Sunday, October 27, 2013

Getting a Haircut in Cuenca


I started off the day with a beautiful walk down by the river. I meant to go to a museum nearby, but it was shut down for renovations. Without the museum on my agenda, I decided, finally, to get a haircut. I decided to go to the $10 vs. the $7 place just because I thought maybe it would be better since it cost $3 more... I explained in Spanglish that I wanted it "al mismo de ahora, pero menos un poco porque mi cabello esta muy seco" (which I think more or less means "the same as now, but a little bit shorter because my hair is really dry"). I think I said "un poco" about twenty times. I held my breath as she took the first snip, well, really the whole time, but it turned out fine. She even spent twenty minutes drying and straightening it. It is the first time my hair has seen a blow dryer since Bolivia...

After the successful haircut, I bought myself a celebratory smoothie and headed back to the hostel to download a lot of TV episodes of Scandal and Parenthood so I have something to do during the 30 hours of bus rides and 12 hours on a plane that I face in the next week.

Speaking of planes, I went to the Taca Airlines office today to see how much it would cost to push my flight to November 8th instead of the 6th. It would mean getting to spend a couple extra days on the beach in Mancora... But the woman told me it would be $200, plus taxes. Oh well! Looks like I will be going to the beach in California instead!

Miriam (jungle roommate) arrived tonight from her Galapagos trip. I am so glad the timing worked out for us to meet up again because she is one of the happiest people I have ever met. After she got here, we headed to the Colombian restaurant nearby for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment