Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Vilcabamba

In the morning, I walked to breakfast and found the hostel has the most amazing view of Vilcabamba. The restaurant patio looks out into the mountains and over the small village below. The terracotta roofs of farmhouses dot the landscape. Mist hung just above the trees, burning off in patches where the sun broke through. Before even finishing breakfast, I decided to stay an extra day here, even if it meant having to skip Mancora. Really I only had enough time for a day in Mancora, and it is 5 hours out of the way, so despite all of the great things I have heard about Mancora, I just don't think it would be worth it.

Instead of Mancora, Miriam, Stephanie and I will cross the border to Piura, and then Miriam and I will continue on to a town just outside of Trujillo called Huanchaco. We found a great hostel called Casa Amelia, but it was booked, so we will stay at Nylamp Hostel on the beach for a couple nights before finally reaching Lima.

We spent the entire day on the hostel grounds, swimming in the pool, going to the spa for a facial and massage packet (because it only cost $16!!) and eating enormous salads at the restaurant. I can understand why so many people live to be over 100 years old here. I feel absolutely no stress.


Finished reading The Lowlands and started When I Was Puerto Rican.

No comments:

Post a Comment