Monday, September 9, 2013

Working in Another Country

This morning I awoke to an email from the manager at Milhouse saying she would like to meet with me to discuss positions at the hostel. So after my classes, I headed to the hostel. Actually, my practice teacher helped me find the hostel, which we searched for for 15 minutes. The manager of the hostel was really nice and the accommodations were great, so I agreed to start on Wednesday. I move in tomorrow.

I spent the day teaching "sports" with Lutz and Laura. Sports is a lot easier because less Spanish is required, and the kids are free to run around. At the end of the day, though, I returned to the classroom. Julio was trying to read a book that had both Spanish and English, and asked me to read one of the English words (bird). When I offered to read the book to him, he jumped out of his seat and into my lap, so excited to be reading English. I started to read to him, but he stopped me, asking me to read only one word at a time so that he could repeat everything I said. I have never seen such enthusiasm. When reading time was over, the main teacher had to pry the book from Julio's grip. He replaced the book with my hand, whispering "thank you" over and over. I wish I could read to Julio in English for hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment